Coming home from vacation is bitter sweet. My family and I were ready to come home, but once home I couldn’t help but miss this beautiful scenery…….
We were away for 11 days. I am a creature of habit, so I definitely missed my daily routine. With a time difference of 6 hours, it’s been a bit challenging to “get back to normal.”
One part of my daily routine that I stuck with was running. I was fortunate to run most mornings and was usually back before my girls were even awake. When on vacation, one thing I make sure of is that my running or fitness activities do not interfere with any family time.
Being on vacation is a time to relax, unwind, and take a break. With that said, you should be able to incorporate some physical activity into your plans. It is possible to balance exercise and enjoying your vacation! Here are some ways to stay active while on vacation:
1. Get up early and exercise before everyone wakes up. I always wake up early so this works out perfectly. It’s nice to get in a workout before the day gets started. Another option is to exercise with your family. I managed to get my daughters to run one mile with me!
2. Stay at a hotel or resort that has a fitness facility. I used the gym at our resort only once. It felt good to lift some weights and get in a quick strength workout. Having access to a fitness facility is always a nice option to have.
3. Pack resistance bands. These are light and easy to sneak into your luggage. Resistance bands are a convenient way to work out in your hotel room or condo. Bodyweight exercises are also a great option.
4. Sight seeing. The best way to take in all the beautiful scenery is by foot. Be sure to pack some walking shoes. Flip flops aren’t the best for walking long distances!
5. Walk to dinner. A nice walk to and from dinner is a great way to, not only get in some exercise, but allows you to enjoy the fresh air and will also help with digesting your food after dinner.
6. Try something new. Depending on the location of your trip, you can almost always find something new to try. Hiking, biking, scuba diving, snorkeling, paddle boarding, hula lessons, or beach volleyball. We had fun tossing a football on the beach or in the pool. My husband and daughter enjoyed snorkeling.
7. Drink lots of water! This may not be a fitness activity, but it’s so important to drink plenty of water especially if you are in a hot environment. We purchased so much bottled water! (luckily our resort had recycling) Staying hydrated is crucial in order to feel good while being active.
8. Along with staying hydrated, try to make healthy food choices. I had my fair share of treats while on vacation, but I also chose healthy options while dining out. Doing this will help you feel good and stay on track.
Do you have a vacation planned? Read these tips to Stay Active on Vacation! Click To Tweet
Going on vacation doesn’t mean you have to abandon your fitness routine. There are plenty of ways to stay active. If you incorporate some type of physical activity each day, you will most likely feel your best!
Do you exercise while on vacation?
Do you have any tips?